An organisation's security culture is the styles, approaches and values that it wishes to adopt towards security, and is essential to an effective personnel security regime. The benefits of an effective security culture include:
· employees are engaged with, and take responsibility for, security issues;
· levels of compliance with protective security measures increase;
· the risk of security incidents and breaches is reduced by encouraging employees to think and act in more security conscious ways;
· employees are more likely to report behaviours/activities of concern;
· improved organisational performance through effective management, established reporting mechanisms, increased employee satisfaction and commitment to the organisation;
· The risk of reputational and financial damage to the organisation is reduced.
Developing a security culture within an organisation is about encouraging staff to respect common values and standards towards security whether they are inside or outside the workplace.