Effective Housekeeping can eliminate workplace hazards and help get a job done safely and properly. Housekeeping is not just cleanliness. It includes keeping work areas neat and orderly; maintaining halls and floors free of slip and trip hazards; and removing of waste materials and other fire hazards from work areas. It also requires paying attention to important details such as the layout of the whole workplace, aisle marking, the adequacy of storage facilities, and maintenance. Good housekeeping is also a basic part of accident and fire prevention. A good housekeeping program plans and manages the orderly storage and movement of materials from point of entry to exit.
Benefits of Effective Housekeeping:-
- Better control of tools and materials, including inventory and supplies.
- Reduced property damage by improving preventive maintenance.
- Fewer tripping and slipping accidents in clutter-free and spill-free work areas.
- Decreased fire hazards and lower worker exposures to hazardous substances.
- Reduced handling to ease the flow of materials, more efficient equipment cleanup and maintenance.
- Improved morale and productivity.