Each security officer is expected to spend a significant portion of each shift patrolling the campus, either on foot or in a security vehicle. The primary objective of patrolling is to create a visible security presence as well as to create awareness to the fact that security is active and alert in a particular area. The discipline of patrolling is the very essence of the security function. During Security patrolling duties of a security guard are:-
- Ensure that all vulnerable points or key areas are frequently checked to maintain their security against intrusion for any unauthorized purpose.
- Check for intruders - identify strangers and ascertain whether they have the right to be in that particular area or building.
- Check perimeter fences and security lighting and make sure that they are functional.
- Check that all outer doors, windows and gates are secure each time the patrol is conducted. A physical examination of each point is required.
- Check for potential fire hazards outside and inside the offices, buildings and plant areas being patrolled.
- Check potential safety hazards and report problems.
- Ensure the safety of all keys entrusted to the patrol.