From storage areas to physical office spaces, a business needs to rely upon everything being in operating order to run smoothly. A facilities manager is the individual charged with taking care of the day-to-day maintenance, upgrades, and management of these systems. A facilities manager is the person in charge of operating and maintaining the buildings and grounds of an organization, corporation, institution, or any other entity that has significant physical property.
A facilities manager has a wide range of responsibilities, including:
• Maintaining and repairing buildings and equipment
• Overseeing custodial and security staff
• Ensuring that the lighting, heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems are operating properly to provide good working and/or living conditions for occupants
• Supervising the design and upkeep of the facilities’ grounds and landscaping
• Updating and maintaining the telecommunications and computer systems
• Adhering to and improving health and safety standards
• Planning for and overseeing major renovations and new construction, and
• Facility managers will generally be involved in anything that breaches the safety, security, or usability of their facilities.