Crime prevention has been defined as “the anticipation, recognition and appraisal of a crime risk and the initiation of some action to remove or reduce it.” It means using your instinct, commons sense and action to reduce a criminal’s opportunity.
The 10 Principles of Crime Prevention are:-
- Target Hardening
- Target Removal
- Removing items that may help commit an offence.
- Reducing the profit the criminal can make from the offence.
- Looking at measures that will control access to a location, a person or object.
- Improving surveillance around homes, businesses or public places to deter criminals.
- Ensuring your property and wider community looks cared for.
- Changing our habits by setting rules and positioning signage in appropriate locations.
- Increasing the likelihood that an offender will be caught to prevent crime occurring.
- Deterring an offender or deflecting their